Monday, August 14, 2006

 

Times up...

Another month has gone by and I haven't been around on here... There's actually been quite a bit happening. I finished up at work which went pretty uneventfully. I can't say that I have a lot of strong feelings about it... it was my second time leaving and everything. When I left the last time, I didn't keep in touch with anyone at all. Hopefully this time I can keep in touch with one or two guys that I hung out with quite a bit in the past few months.

We also had our going away get together before we moved out of our house and had a nice turnout. It ended up essentially being two different parties. During the day we had mostly family and co-workers over and they were all gone by 4:00 p.m. We got a 2 or 3 hour break and then a few of our "international crowd" of friends showed up and hung out for a few hours. It was nice to see everyone but I always end up feeling like since you have to talk to everyone, you can't really talk to anyone.

After getting moved out, we had the chance to head to Mexico and I now have a brother-in-law (I guess??). My wife's sister decided she had found the guy for her and they were married the first weekend in August. We were only able to go for the weekend but it was without a doubt worth it. Besides the wedding, we had the chance to meet up with some friends and have coffee and brunch. Luckily, we got back before the airline scare over in London so we were able to bring a few bottles of alcohol from Duty-Free onto the plane.

So now we leave in two days. We'll pick up the U-Haul on Wednesday and get it loaded up but leave early Thursday morning. We're expecting to arrive Saturday morning....we could make it sooner, but we're going to take our time and not exhaust ourselves on the road. Both of us are really excited and getting more and more anxious each day. Even more exciting is that my wife was offered a job at Johns Hopkins working for a research team that she was really hoping for. It's an incredible opportunity for her and she'll be working with the people she wants doing exactly what she had said she wanted to do (clinical research instead of more basic mouse-model work).

For me, I feel like I'm ready. Orientation starts on the 29th with events for three days. I signed up for a tour of the C&O Canel with Professor Lazarus. He's an environmental law professor and a pretty big name so with a little luck, I'll have some opportunity to interact with him briefly. He's also my torts professor first semester, so it will also give me the chance to get a good feel for him. The second activity we get to participate in is a section service project. My section had a couple to choose from and I decided to go with the clean up of the National Arboretum. We'll be removing invasive species of plants from the area. The options for the service project were a little limited... it was either work in a food shelf or clean a park. Anyway, it'll be an interesting day nonetheless.

Well, it's late and we still have a few things to finish up tomorrow so I'm going to end here. Each of these topics really deserves its own post and I apologize for the quick summary. I'll try to do this a little more often but I still really don't know what to expect as far as free time goes... I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?